Travel Insurance

When travelling abroad, it is important to have the right type of travel insurance. That insurance must cover all ‘pre-existing conditions’ and it is advisable to obtain this information in writing from the insurance company.

Many of our members have obtained satisfactory cover at reasonable costs from the following companies but it is useful to shop around for the best offer.

All Clear Travel Insurance

0845 250 5250 |

Axa PPP Healthcare

0800 731 4964 |

Columbus Direct Travel Insurance

0845 888 8893 |

Free Spirit

0845 230 5000 |

Freedom Travel Insurance

01223 446914 |

Go Travel Insurance Direct

0870 243 6006 |

GK Sladdin & Company Limited

0800 731 3989 |

Insure and Go

0870 901 3674 |

JD Travel Insurance Consultants

0844 247 4749 |


01793 750150 |

Post Office

0800 169 9999 |


0800 033 4902 |

Swinton Insurance

0800 138 2412 |

Talk to TIM

0800 054 2252 |

Worldwide Travel Insurance

01892 833 338 |

The following company specialises in cover for cancer patients:
Medi Travelcover Ltd 01252 782392 |

If you are a regular traveller, it is worth considering Annual Travel Insurance cover. Some useful contacts for this are Barclays Bank, Churchill Insurance, Flexicover, Marks & Spencers, and MRL Insurance Direct.

Please refer to IA leaflet 5 “Travel Tips” for further useful information.

Travelling to Europe?

The Department of Health has now discontinued the use of E111 Forms which have been replaced by the introduction of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). It may take slightly longer to obtain the new card and early application is recommended.

  • The EHIC entitles you to reduced cost (or sometimes free) healthcare where treatment becomes necessary during a temporary visit to other countries of the European Economic Area or Switzerland. The card is only valid for treatment offered under the state healthcare schemes operating in these countries; it gives you access to treatment under the same terms as people that live in the country you are visiting.
  • The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance. It may not cover all health costs and never covers repatriation costs and you are advised to take out a travel insurance policy in addition to the EHIC. The EHIC card does not cover situations where patients go abroad in order to be treated in hospitals overseas, your Primary Care Trust can advise you further about this.

Further information, including a full list of countries covered, together with details of their health systems can be found in the booklet “Health Advice for Travellers” available from the Post Office and online at It is strongly recommended that you take this booklet with you when travelling as it contains information on what to do if treatment becomes necessary during your trip. You can download a PDF copy of this page here.